In this article, we are going to demonstrate how you can easily connect Alexa to Wifi. The entire process should take just a few minutes of your time plus it’s not as hard as most people presume.
After purchasing your new Amazon Echo device or any other Alexa-enabled device, you just can’t wait to use it. The Echo Dot, one of the most popular Alexa-enabled smart speakers in the market, offers an unlimited number of advanced features and capabilities in a way you can never imagine.
When connected to your home wifi, this little wireless speaker lets you play music through voice command, helps you control all the gadgets and devices in your smart home, helps you shop online with ease, creates your schedule, and so much more.
To activate the functions of your Alexa device, you need to connect the device to your home/office wifi network.
Below is a step-by-step guide on how to connect Alexa to Wifi
How to Connect Alexa to Wifi- A Step-by-Step Guide
1. Connecting Alexa to Wifi for the First Time
Assuming you’ve already plugged in your Alexa-enabled device to a power output, the next step is downloading the Alexa App on your phone. You can download the app from Google Playstore for your Android device or Apple Store for your iPhone, iPod, or iPad.
With the app downloaded, the next step is beginning the setup once the app has been launched.
- Step 1, input your Amazon account login details which either include email/phone and a unique password
- Once signed in, tap on the “Get Started” button
- Next, choose the name that is associated with your Amazon account from the provided list. If you prefer to use another name, click on the “I’m Someone Else” button to create a new user
- Next, the app will request you to provide Amazon with access to your contacts as well as notifications. You can either allow access or not depending on your personal preferences. For example, if you plan to use the Alexa-enabled device to make calls from your phone, you can give access to your contacts
- Next, tap on the menu button which is located in the upper left-hand corner and features 3 horizontal lines. In the drop-down menu, choose “Settings.”
- Here, you can see the “Add Device’ option. Select the preferred device from the provided list. For example, if you recently bought the Echo Dot smart speaker, select it as your preferred device
- In this particular guide- we will use the Echo Dot smart speaker for consistency
- Next, with the Echo Dot, plugged in, press and hold the Action button to turn it on. If using the Amazon Echo device, a blue ring light will start circulating around the device. After a few seconds, the blue light will then change to Orange
- Tap “Continue’ when you determine that the device is ready to use
- The Alexa app will then request you to connect it to your phone’s wifi settings. You just need to follow the instructions provided on the screen. You’re required to choose the network with a custom-named Amazon network. For example, you can choose a custom name like Amazon-99
- Upon successfully connecting to your phone’s wireless network, you will receive a confirmation message from the app
- Every time you want to connect your Echo dot or other Alexa enabled device to wifi, you just have to tap on the custom-named network from a list of available networks on the app. You’ll need to enter a password if prompted
- Once a wifi connection has been successfully established on your device, a message reading “Your Device (device name) is now online”.
3. How To Connect Alexa Device to a New Wifi Network
If you need to connect your Alexa device to a new wifi network, here is a step-by-step guide.
- Tap the menu icon and navigate to the Settings area
- Tap Device Settings, then next to your device’s wifi network, tap “Change” to change the network or change password
- To steps are pretty much similar to our first guide since you’ll be connecting to a wifi new network for the first time.
- Be sure to follow the above steps when connecting Alexa to a new wifi network
4. How to Connect Alexa Device to Wifi Without the App
If you want to connect your Alexa device to a wifi network without necessarily using the Alexa app, follow these steps.
But first, your internet connection must be fast and reliable. Alexa devices are designed to easily connect with dual bandwidth router devices are they are faster and more reliable.
Make sure your smartphone is connected to the internet before beginning the setup.
- Head to the Settings menu on your phone and tap on the Network or WLAN menu
- Next, you’ll see a list of available networks. Choose the wireless network, input the password and connect.
- Once your wireless network is ready to use, simply connect your Alexa device to the internet without the Alexa app
Troubleshooting Tips- My Alexa Device Won’t Connect to Wifi
Even after following all the required steps to connect your Alexa device to wifi, you might stumble into some issues which may prevent the device from connecting to the designated network.
In such a case, you will want to take the following troubleshooting steps.
- Restart your router and modem- Usually, some connectivity issues may be caused firmware or hardware problems in these two devices. A good idea is to restart them and see if the issue resolves.
- If restarting the router and modem doesn’t resolve the connection issue, then the problem might be with the Alexa device. Try restarting your Alexa device and try to reconnect it. In most cases, rebooting Alexa devices often helps solves connection problems
- Problems with connectivity may also be caused by faulty settings within your Alexa device. In this case, resetting your device back to factory settings may help resolve the problem. Resetting the device to factory settings will wipe out any custom settings you may have added. So it’s important that you’re aware of the consequences
- Update your router’s and modem’s firmware. In most cases, internet connection problems are often caused by the router and modem using old firmware. Older firmware doesn’t just affect wireless connection, but it also makes your device, especially the router, more susceptible to security threats like malware. If you’re sure the Alexa device is working just fine, then you should consider updating the firmware of your router and modem
- Double-check your wifi password to see if it’s incorrect or not. An incorrect wifi password won’t connect your devices, so you need to check whether you’ve set the correct one or not. To verify, try connecting another device using the same wifi password. If the other device doesn’t connect, then you’ll know it’s a password issue
- Eliminate barriers close to your Alexa device or router and modem as any signal blockage may cause your device to receive a poor signal, thus causing connection problems. Always place your Alexa device, router, and modem away from barriers. This means avoiding placing them behind furniture, electronics like TVs, etc. Also, make sure the device is placed away from any source that may cause signal interference These may include baby monitors and other wireless electronics
- If the Alexa, router, and modem are working just fine but you’re still experiencing connection issues, then consider moving the device a little bit closer to the router/modem. This will allow your device to receive a stronger wireless connection especially since there won’t be any obstructions blocking the signal
- If the device still fails to connect after trying all these troubleshooting tips, you’ll want to contact your device’s manufacturer. If your modem has an issue, be sure to contact your Internet Service Provider. When you contact the device manufacturer or ISP, they might either fix the issue or replace the device
How to Connect Alexa to Wifi- Wrapping it Up
After purchasing a new Alexa device, most people don’t always understand the process involved to connect the device to wifi. The good news is that the process is often easy and pretty straight forward.
Unless you’re having issues connecting the device to wifi, the whole process should take you a few minutes to complete.
If you’re having any issues connecting Alexa to wifi, follow the above-detailed troubleshooting guide. Otherwise, once you connect your device to wifi, you should be able to enjoy all the beautiful features and functionalities the device comes with. Thanks to Alexa's device, managing your smart home has never been easier. Enjoy!